When you want to encrypt an drobo volume with truecrypt, be shure you encrpt a fresh drobo volume and use the truecrpyt option "Quick Format" (its a checkbox right in dialog of filesystem options).
With quick format, true crypt don't formats all blocks and the drobo isn't moving very slowly.
Checklist: for use with >2TB volume on windows vista or 7
- Create a new drobo volume via drobo dashboard, i.e. 4TB
- Go to Windows-SystemManager and initialize the new volume as GPT (its registered as new drive, otherwise every time opening drive manager you get warned about uninitialized drives)
- open TrueCrypt Create Volume
- Select "Encrypt a non-system partition/drive"
- Volume Type: Standard TrueCrypt volume
- Volume Location: new Harddisk, i.e. Harddisk 6, be shure not selecting the 128MB partition1 on drive. After select "\Device\Harddisk6\Partition0" must be located.
- Volume Creation Mode: Create encrypted volume and format it
- Encryption Options: select your favorite
- Volume Size: cannot be changed, this sample uses 4096GB
- Volume Password: your choise
- Large Files: Yes, if you want to store files bigger than 2GB
- Volume Format: NTFS, Cluster: Default, Check the Quick Format option!!!
- Press the Format button.
- Finished, mount the new encrypted drobo volume using TrueCrypt
The DroboDashboard Volume Manager shows only the registered volumes, but not their file system and used space. The pie chart displays the correct usage of space.
Be warned: when you delete files inside the encrypted volume, the drobo gets no information about deletion, the space seems to be in use. Its the same with a fully inflated tc file container, deleting files doesn't free space on host drive.
Use this description at your risk.