Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In my University, my professor provided us with his server address, but he said that we can only access his server through our University's wireless network.

He also said, there is a way to access his server from outside.

Our University's server is Polaris and I can connect to my university server using telnet and my user name/password.

What is the available way to browse my professor's web page from out campus that is on his own server that is connected only to the university server.

share|improve this question
Can you only use telnet or do they allow SSH as well? Telnet is a bit outdated an much less secure, but that is beside the point. If you can SSH I would tunnel in (and will add an answer with how if you can). – nerdwaller Mar 26 '13 at 0:45
They allow SSH but I do not know it. He also said that SSH is the way he meant. Yes please put an answer. – MIH1406 Mar 26 '13 at 0:51
You'll probably should contact the university networking team and get an answer. Having us attempt to crack the university network is not really an appropriate type of question. – mdpc Mar 26 '13 at 3:14
@mdpc is this considered cracking? – MIH1406 Mar 26 '13 at 3:52
@mdpc this isn't cracking; he's asking how to legitimately access university resources from off-campus. Setting up ssh tunneling for authorized use is neither illegal, unethical, nor "cracking". – nhinkle Mar 26 '13 at 4:46
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Since SSH is allowed, I would do a simple SSH tunnel, something like what is discussed in this post.

I was going to write it all up, but found this page that does it much better than I could have. As a summary:

In Linux/Unix/Cygwin:

ssh -C2qTnN -D 9090 username@server

This sets up a socks proxy for it, and requires you to then tell your browser to use port 9090 for traffic (follow the link above for that). (9090 is used because it's a non-reserved port on the system, though typically I use 8080 which is the common alternate to the one used for normal HTTP traffic (80)).

On Windows, the link shows how to establish this via puTTY - I have tried both ways previously and had success (Cygwin on windows, in my linux terminal or using Putty).

share|improve this answer
I set up my tunnels using PuTTY via the command line (Windows) by doing "ssh -R 9090: username@server" where 9090 is the port I am running the tunnel over. – cutrightjm Mar 26 '13 at 1:06
Definitely a good way to do it, that's how mine is currently set-up(similar, anyways). I just didn't want to go into setting up environmental variables and such for the OP. Thanks @ekaj – nerdwaller Mar 26 '13 at 1:09

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .