Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Ever since I acquired it, less than a hundred pages ago, this printer's paper output has featured horizontal bands - the denser the color, the denser the streaks.

The printer is a Canon i-SENSYS MF-8340Cdn.

The original test image :

Original test image

The same test image, printed and scanned :

Scanned test image

The printer's diagnostics tell me that the toner cartridges are full. I see no contamination of any sort inside the printer.

Can anyone tell me what is going on ?

share|improve this question
It is probably best if you return it as defective. – Simon Mar 27 '13 at 11:35
Looks like dirty or defective ink cartridges. Have you tried new ink cartridges? – CharlieRB Mar 27 '13 at 11:40
The integrated toner/drum bits are clean as far as I can see. – Jean-Marc Liotier Mar 27 '13 at 22:52
I'm now hunting for an answer from Canon - I'm not holding my breath. I'll post the answer here if Canon solves the problem before Superuser ! – Jean-Marc Liotier Mar 27 '13 at 22:54
dont mess with it; return it as defective. – Lorenzo Von Matterhorn Mar 28 '13 at 18:10
up vote 2 down vote accepted

The 'starter' toner cartridge that came with the printer were defective. I replaced them and the problem simply disappeared. I probably should have started with that...

share|improve this answer

Usually this indicates that your heads are dirty and need serious cleaning. if the stripes were vertical, that would indicate fuser or transfer rollers, but horizontal means that the problem originates from the application of toner. look at this article on cleaning print heads:

share|improve this answer
This is a laser printer - so there are no print heads that might get clogged (when that happen on inkjet printers, I wipe them with a moist tissue)... I'll take a closer look at toner-related bits. – Jean-Marc Liotier Mar 27 '13 at 12:01

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.