I'm looking at setting up a personal proxy server at home, both for the functionality and the learning experience. I'm uncertain what OS and software is capable of implementing what I'd like to do though.
Desired Internal/At-Home Functionality:
- Potential added layer of security for home system
- Ability to cache web pages
- Ability to filter content based on URL or IP
Desired External Functionality:
- Ability to connect remotely to allow forwarding traffic on port 80 and 443 (potentially other ports)
- Support for SSL or other encryption to protect personal data and authentication credentials
- Ability to circumvent content filtering elsewhere based on URL and IP (such as that of a university or employer)
I know Squid has some of this functionality, but not all. Which of these could be implemented in Server 2012 + versus a Linux or UNIX-based environment? And what could IIS, Apache, or WAMP/XAMPP do without writing any complex code in Perl or PHP?