Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

So I have a PS2 that I'd really like to connect to my computer monitor. My monitor only has input for HDMI and VGA, so I can't connect it directly. I have a TV Tuner PCI card (it came with the computer when I got it) that has composite input, but there's a definite lag from it that I simply can't handle, along with serious motion blur. Is there some sort of converter that I could purchase that could solve this? I'm also looking to purchase an additional monitor in the near future, so if there is some monitor that does this better, let me know that as well. Thanks.

share|improve this question
Keep in mind that any scan converter you find will have some delay. Used to be a lot of monitors would accept composite, but composite is going the way of the dodo. – Daniel R Hicks Mar 28 '13 at 22:16

You would need what is termed an XGA Box, or a Video to XGA converter. This could convert the output from the gaming console, to the VGA input your monitor would accept. There are multiple different products out on the market, and a Google search for either "XGA Box" or "Video to XGA" converter will reveal many of them. At that point, it is just a matter of deciding which one you want to purchase.

share|improve this answer
Just to add, you may see adapters and converters, they are not all equal! Analog to Analog should not have any issues either way, but if you ever try to go analog to digital (composite to HDMI for example) you are going to need a converter. A passive "adapter" will work briefly at best. You need a true converter which requires external power and an IC to convert the signal. – AthomSfere Mar 28 '13 at 23:20

Here's a converter that should do it:

Composite and S-Video to VGA Video Converter for Computer Monitors

But it's $80.99 Canadian.

share|improve this answer
Try to avoid recommending a single product, as Superuser isn't a shopping recommendation site. Questions that recommend a type of product are allowed. Questions that require a specific product get closed. – Bon Gart Mar 29 '13 at 15:04

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .