Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have two servers running behind my D-Link DIR-655 NAT router. Obviously, I cannot allow outside access to both of them simultaneously without putting them on different external ports, which I don't want to do. (DNS can only redirect to the common external IP of my router, not the unique internal IPs of my servers.) The easiest solution I can think of to this is simply to put one of the servers completely outside of the router so that it grabs its own IP address from Comcast (and thus allows me to change my DNS records so that the destination IPs are different.) Is this possible, and if it is, how do I do it?

Thanks, Dylan

P.S. I've already tried putting one server into the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) on my router to no avail.

share|improve this question

Unfortunately what you are after is not possible. Unless you are paying for multiple static IP addresses from Comcast (Comcast Business plan), Comcast will only supply you with one WAN IP address. Your only option is to run the servers on separate ports.

That said, if the servers you are hosting are HTTP (Web) servers, you can setup a "reverse proxy" that, depending on the hostname of the requested page, will route the incoming connections to the correct server. It is pretty easy to setup an Apache2 reverse proxy; do some research.

share|improve this answer

If you're not allowed to use multiple IPs then the only solution is using VPN or IPv6. Basically IPv6 don't use NAT anymore so your interfaces are now exposing directly to the internet. With VPN your PC(s) will acts as it's in the same LAN as the connecting PC.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.