Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is it possible to use Word's find / replace to find superscripts that are at the beginning of lines? I've got complex units (e.g. cm s-1) in a long document and sometimes the -1 is wrapped onto a new line - I'd like to find anywhere this happens.

I've tried using ^p in the find box (along with setting the font to subscript), but this doesn't find these cases.

share|improve this question
But I specifically only want to find them when they're at the beginning of a line... – ChrisW Apr 4 '13 at 18:51

If you’re talking about line breaks that are created automatically by Word as part of the text justification process (i.e., because the text reached the right margin), then I doubt that this will be possible.  But I suspect that this isn’t really your problem; I suspect that your problem is

How do I get expressions containing minus signs, including superscripted ones, e.g.,

The quick brown fox jumps at 10 cm s-1 over the lazy dog.

not to break at the right margin, as if the minus sign were a hyphen:

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah  …  The quick brown fox jumps at 10 cm s-
1 over the lazy dog. ?

and, if that’s your problem, then see Preventing line breaks in superscript.  Specifically, I recommend the Ctrl+Shift+- answer.  If you have a large document, you’ll probably want to do a “Find and Replace”, replacing superscripted hyphens with non-breaking hyphens (using the ^~ code):
            “Find and Replace” dialog box

share|improve this answer
As you've probably already realised, that was also my question! The answers to that were good, but I need to find out where it's happening before I can fix them :) doing it manually (searching for all superscripts) in a 80,000 word document is tedious. – ChrisW Apr 4 '13 at 18:59

You can use regular expressions to help you find hyphens that should be minus signs. In the Find/Replace dialog box, open the More options and enable Use Wildcards. The pattern -[ 0-9] will find hyphens followed by a digit or space. The vast majority of those should be written with a minus sign (for negative numbers) or en-dash (for dates and numeric ranges). For more information on Word regular expressions, see the help article.

It's a good idea to fix all hyphen errors and not just the ones that are currently wrapped incorrectly. Line breaks change often, and a hyphen that looks OK today might break tomorrow. Also, proper minus signs and dashes look different from hyphens, and sophisticated readers can tell the difference. A non-breaking hyphen will fix the line wrap, but it's still the wrong size and height for a minus sign. An en-dash will generally have the opposite problem: looks right, wraps wrong.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.