Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am looking for a way to overlay an editable grid on top of Windows OS to be able to check if UI elements are aligned.

Does this sort of desktop utility exist?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by KronoS, Ƭᴇcʜιᴇ007, Sathya Apr 7 '13 at 7:14

This question was marked as an exact duplicate of an existing question.

any reason for the down vote? I thought my question was clear enough. If its confusing i'm willing to clarify even further. – Sammy Guergachi Apr 6 '13 at 23:27
I'm not downvoting this, but I believe this question is more suitable for one of the StackExchange programming boards like or – Havenard Apr 6 '13 at 23:40
asking for software recommendations is off-topic as specified in the FAQ – nc4pk Apr 6 '13 at 23:42
up vote 0 down vote accepted

There are a few "on-screen ruler" programs out there, that is what I use to align things. The one I am using now can be horizontal or vertical, the size adjustable both ways, adjustable transparency. and the "markers" could be set with very long extended lines in the options.

I paid a small price for the one I use, but with a quick google search, and avoiding getting a crudware install, you could probably find a legit free one out there.

checkout Dwarf for a grid, but I think it is overkill for just checking if things are straight or not.

share|improve this answer

Many screenshot utilities have a mode where the area to be captured can be selected. The crosshairs (horizontal and vertical lines) that are used to select the area can be used to check alignment. You can always abort taking the screenshot if you don't need it, or just let it capture to the clipboard.

One utility that works this way is the free Greenshot screen capture utility.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .