I have an ASUS X71VN laptop running windows 8 x64. I use it with a USB mouse/keyboard, the logitech mk320.
During normal use, I sometimes get a USB device not recognized problem, and the wireless mouse and keyboard stop working. When I go to the Device Manager, I see an Unknown Device, and when I open the Properties Dialog, under Hardware IDs, it just says it can't identify the device.
The problem shows up at seemingly random times. It once happened as I woke the computer from hibernate, but most often I'm just in the middle of something else, like browsing the web , playing a game, or watching a movie on VLC.
I've had this problem some 4 times now. It resumes working normally after a few days. There was this one time when I did a system restore and it solved the problem, but another time, system restore didn't help (I tried 3 different restore points and all I got for the trouble was my browser settings changing).
When I plug the mk320 on another computer (a windows 7), it has no problem. I used Windows 8 consumer preview from July to January (when it expired) and had no problem. I used Windows 7 for 2 months and had no problem.
Things I tried but didn't solve the problem:
- Plugging the wireless receiver on another port;
- Rebooting the computer (I unplugged from the power strip, removed the battery, and played the XBox for a couple hours before booting again);
- Uninstalling all USB drivers from the Device Manager;
- I also tried a couple of those programs that promise to update all your drivers with no hassle, but they didn't see any problem with my hardware
- sfc /scannow doesn't report any issues
How do I fix this when it appears? How do I stop it from happening again?