Here is what I would like to happen (and what I mean by "like a phone"):
- I use my PC
- I stop input to the PC (therefore "idle")
- Some time passes (say 3 minutes)
- There is an indicator that the monitor that it is about to go idle (by the screen dimming or other)
- Some more time passes (say 15 seconds)
- Screen goes into power save mode
- I wake the monitor by using the computer and am forced to enter my account password.
I want this because I want to be more eco and have the montitor off as much as possible, but I want to prevent the long delay in the monitor waking up when I was actually using the PC, e.g. reading, but not using any input method. The early warning will allow me to interact with the PC, thus preventing full idle mode.
I also want security with convenience, so I don't want the password prompt after step 4, only after step 6.
I can get an approximation of this by setting the "Blank" screen saver for 2 minutes, and the monitor power settings to 3 minutes. However, with those settings I get the password prompt after step 4 or not at all. (Depending on the value of "On resume, display log-on screen")
FWIW, I'm using a custom built desktop PC with a Dell 3008WFP monitor running Windows 8 Pro with Media Center.