Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to write-protect an (internal HDD) partition, not with “diskpart.exe” and not with “gpedit.msc”, but only with the registry (regedit.exe).

(OS: XP, Vista, 7 or 8)

Can you please help me ?

Thank you !…

share|improve this question
Well ... you could use Process Monitor to work out what registry changes diskpart.exe is making, I suppose. If the Group Policy setting you're thinking of is registry-based, that would be even easier; just look at the corresponding .admx file in C:\windows\policydefinitions. – Harry Johnston Apr 30 '13 at 4:31

Never heard of anybody doing this with the registry before.

Is the partition formatted with NTFS? If so, you can just set security permissions on the volume at the root level to allow "Everyone" to Read only.

Remove all other NTFS permissions from the partition, and you should achieve the desired result.

Right click on the drive in "My Computer" and click Properties

Click the Security Tab

Remove all items from the list

Add "Everyone"

Press OK
share|improve this answer
Thank you for your answer !.. – John Apr 15 '13 at 5:45
You're welcome. Please mark it as the correct answer if it solved your problem. – Dave Lucre Apr 15 '13 at 5:45
I already know how to write-protect An internal HDD partition using “diskpart.exe” with “gpedit.msc” and even the way you describe. – John Apr 15 '13 at 5:55
Using the registry, I also know how to write-protect USB HDD or how to hide a partition from the system. Of course, there is a way to write-protect an internal HDD partition using regedit. If you can help me, thank you very much !.. – John Apr 15 '13 at 5:59

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.