Until a few days ago I was using a bluetooth headset (Plantronics Voyager PLT510) regularly and without issue in Windows 7, primarily for making calls in Google Talk. I then upgraded to Windows 8 and am now stuck with a problem maintaining connectivity between my laptop and the headset.
The laptop recognizes the headset and was paired no problem. It also recognizes when the headset is on and when it should be receiving audio (it is my default audio device as well as the default microphone). So, I switch the headset on and get the initial beep letting me know that it's connected to the laptop. I then try to place a call or listen to some audio at which point I should get a slightly different beep-beep-beep when it "becomes active" and audio is ready to start coming through. At this point it tends to go crazy and just starts beeping repeatedly, almost as if it is continually trying to establish communication over and over. Often, it just becomes silent and there is no audio nor microphone.
Things I have tried:
- Uninstalling the old bluetooth driver and using the latest Win8 bluetooth driver instead
- Upgrading to latest Win8 bluetooth and audio driver from laptop manufacturer
- Unpairing and re-pairing the headset with the laptop
- Testing with different browsers (for the GTalk) and different audio sources
- Verified strong signal between the two, 5 out of 5 bars
Any suggestions? Anyone else run into this problem?