Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have ssh access to several machines at our university computing center, but they only allow connections from within university network which means I have to go on campus everytime I need to run a simulation, collect results, etc.

Is there any way to make my IP address have a specific prefix so that ident protocol on that machine allow me access? I don't expect a specific or complete answer just give me hints where should I look.

share|improve this question
Unless your university has a VPN you can connect to what you want is not possible. If a VPN is offered then your problem is already solved. – Ramhound Apr 26 '13 at 11:07
Grab a LART and go beat your idiot admins with it. There's no reason ssh shouldn't be allowed from outside. – psusi Apr 26 '13 at 14:36
It offers a vpn but it's on-campus only as well. – Azad Apr 26 '13 at 15:47
...what is the point of a campus-only VPN? – grawity Apr 26 '13 at 16:34
See if the university has a jump host that you can use. This is a server that you are allowed to SSH into from outside. From the jump host you'd be able to connect to the hosts which you're interested in. – Kenster Apr 26 '13 at 16:48

There is. Get on the universities network. Usually you do that by physically going there.

An alternative is via a VPN. You can ask campus IT if they allow that.
(Basically that will behave the same as if you run a very long network cable from your home to the university).

share|improve this answer
Obviously I know that I have access on campus. It offers a vpn but it's on campus only as well. – Azad Apr 26 '13 at 15:52

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .