Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have an older non HD TV with A/V jacks and want to use it as a monitor with sound. I want to use a USB to A/V cable to do this. Will that work?

share|improve this question
This only works if the TV supports doing this. If the hDD was an internal hdd it wouldn't work even if that was the case. – Ramhound Apr 29 '13 at 10:43

USB is digital and A/V jacks are analog, so I don't believe you will be able to find an A/V cable to do this. Also, USB is not a video standard, so you would need to find a USB -> AV converter. While these devices probably exist, you need to be a bit careful as most of the things with USB and A/V jacks will be to capture analog TV, rather then output it.

Despite substantial Googling, I was unable to find a USB device which would do what you want. The closest I could find was a VGA -> RCA converter - which is more expensive then a replacement video card !!! (I'm not recommending this product, just linking to it for your ref -

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.