Sign up ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How can I type the feminine ordinal indicator ª (U+00AA) on the Latin American keyboard layout on Microsoft Windows (7 Professional)?

I can get the masculine indicator ° with Shift+` (i.e., Shift+the key left of 1) but I can't find the feminine indicator anywhere. Is there a way to type this, or, better yet, to find out how to type it?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 1 down vote accepted

The "latam" keyboard has a lot of hidden keystrokes:

[Alt Gr] + [Shift] + f = ª However, you need a font that can show the characters.

Font in this image is: monofur

I know this is old but the choice marked most correct isn't.

[Alt Gr] = right [Alt] key

share|improve this answer
Thanks for your answer! Do you know where I could find a comprehensive list of these "hidden keystrokes"? –  WChargin Sep 7 '14 at 2:59

You can view (grainy low-res) interactive keyboard layouts here. Wikipedia has various Latin-script keyboard layouts on its QWERTY page.

From those, there is no feminine ordinal on the Latin American keyboard. It's on the Spanish (Spain) keyboard, which is supposedly now preferred.

share|improve this answer
Too bad. Thanks though. –  WChargin May 4 '13 at 3:59

From How to enter Unicode characters in Microsoft Windows

This method works regardless of any of your language settings.

  • Press and hold down the Alt key.

  • Press the + key on the numeric keypad.

  • Type the hexidecimal unicode value.

  • Release the Alt key.

This appears to require a registry setting. Under HKEY_Current_User/Control Panel/Input Method, set EnableHexNumpad to "1". If you have to add it, set the type to be REG_SZ.

There's more methods on that page but this is the most universal one.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.