Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When I open a Word document, a 'tape measure' appears on the right and left side of the screen. Using the cursor, I can extend the space available for text down to the bottom and/or up to the top of the page. That way, I can get more text onto one page. Recently my computer needed a new hard drive and when I got it back, the 'tape measure' had disappeared. How do I get it back??

share|improve this question

If you are using MS Word 2007 or 2010, go to the "View" tab, and check the "ruler" checkbox.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.