I just changed the display language on Windows Vista Ultimate from the native Swedish to English. It logged me out and after logging back in everything seemed to be translated to English and I was happy. But then I did a Windows Update search and the language was Swedish. But if I right-click on the address bar or the search field I get context menu in English. As you can see from the screenshot below.
However, if I click the link "System and Maintenance" in the address bar of this same window it takes me to that page and everything is in English. See the screenshot below.
What is this?... bad translation work from Microsoft? Bad interface/translations design? Do I need to flush some redundant cache memory or something? I mean like with some web pages that sometimes need a cache flush in order to display properly?
Is there a solution to this? I mean besides getting a Windows Vista RTM disc with native English support or buying a new copy of Windows 8 in English? Paying extra for the Ultimate edition of Vista just to be able to switch display language seems pointless and a waste of money if it doesn't do a decent job of translating the interface.
Update: Note that I have the fully localized Swedish version of Windows Vista. It's not a Swedish MUI language pack on top of an English version of Windows Vista! I want the opposite of that.
In the image below you can see the language pack removal dialog in Vista. If I mark Swedish from the list, you can see that it says I can't remove it.
The language can't be selected because it is the system language (default language of the user interface).
But I can select English for removal. Because this is the language pack I installed through Windows Update, as part of the Vista Ultimate Extra program.