Please look at the Afterburner screenshot:
Is this how my graphics card's gpu usage is supposed to look like? Simultaneously the GPU clock is jumping between 925 and 975.
Shouldn't I be able to play Tomb Raider on everything maxed out with this card? It's no like it's running super bad, but in the cinematic sequences my frame rate drops noticeably. This made me look into the Afterburner charts in the first place, but the fluctuation in usage / clock is no problem of Tomb Raider. I tried various other things, like Heaven benchmark and Bioshock: Infinite.
When I increase the power limit (afterburner) by 15% the frequency of the fluctuation decreases (but does not completely stop). The Heaven benchmark gets better by 2 fps.
Is this supposed to be like that? If not, is my card faulty?
My system specs:
- Sapphire HD 7870 XT with Boost
- AMD FX-6300 (Stock clock)
- 2 x 4 GB Kingston Hyper X 1600 RAM
- Asrock Extreme 3 with AMD 970 Chipset
- Game lies on Samsung 120GB SSD (6GB/s port)
- Thermaltake Berlin 630 Watt Powersupply with 45A on the 12V rails (Maybe it's an energy issue? 450 Watt on 12V should be sufficient for this card, shouldn't it?)
On a side note: I chose this card over the other Tahiti LE cards because of the dual fan design, nevertheless the card hits almost 90° with fan at 100% in long gaming sessions. I know the 7xxx Tahiti LE chips get hot, but 90°C?