Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top
  1. I downloaded server-jre-7u21-windows-x64.tar.gz from the link

  2. Unzipped the .gz file and got file server-jre-7u21-windows-x64 without extension.

  3. I tried to install it by just double click. But unable to install?

    Can anybody suggest me how to do this?

share|improve this question

migrated from May 6 '13 at 11:19

This question came from our site for professional and enthusiast programmers.

did you get any error????? But unable to install should have a meaning? – NetStarter May 6 '13 at 10:38
Go through installation guide: – user2345880 May 6 '13 at 10:39
I would like to make it clear. I am unable to proceed. if it is exe or jar file , we can proceed...but there is no can be installed. – Nandeshwar May 6 '13 at 10:40
what kind of error message do you get? – Dropout May 6 '13 at 10:43
when i double click the file and try to install, it asks choose program to open it. But i am do not see any appropriate program to open. – Nandeshwar May 6 '13 at 10:52

OP probably already solved, but for others, I had the same problem- for some reason the file downloads as: server-jre-7u21-windows-x64.gz

When you extract it, you just get the tar file without an extension. Attempting to extract the tar (using 7-zip in my case) gives you invalid output (empty folders).

To fix, just rename the downloaded file to: server-jre-7u21-windows-x64.tar.gz

Extracting the gz then the tar should get you what you need.

share|improve this answer

AFAIK All you do is unpack it into a directory which you add to your path.

I would make sure you have a utility which can untar files.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.