So this is probably one of the weirdest PC issues I have ever experienced. I built my PC in the winter of 2011, so about 1.5 years ago. Here are the stats:
- ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.1) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
- EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support
- CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified
- Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
- Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (2x)
- ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
- OEM COOLER
- MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible
It's running Windows 7, fully updated, and the fully updated FREE version of AVG Virus Protection (for which I ran a full PC scan two days ago).
The issue is very weird. I'll boot up my PC and start to do some work. Here's what usually happens, in steps.
- Within about 15 minutes (this varies), all of a sudden it will look like the internet stops working (links don't open, new tabs don't load Google, etc.) The internet is fine. Wifi works on my phone, Netflix, etc. elsewhere - plus I'm connected directly through ethernet.
- After this, and some clicking around to try and get things to load, the Windows 7 quick start menu stops to work. Hovering over the start menu icons does not outline them, clicking them does nothing, etc.
- After this, the mouse changes to a loading animation over each and every window that is still running (usually I can see this by hovering the mouse over CPU Temp)
- Once this happens, I'm boned. I can't open or close anything. Even CTRL-ALT-DEL just hangs there spinning and says it's trying to load up the options for forever.
The mouse is available throughout all of this, and performing a hard shut down-reboot will enter into this same loop of events within a period of about 15 minutes of everything working fine first. Like I said, I did a full virus scan the other day and nothing came up - 0 threats. Any ideas what this could be or what I should check? Has anyone seen something like this happen before?