Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have recently switched to Mac so I'm still getting working out all the keyboard shortcuts I am accustomed to with my previous OS (Windows).

On windows I use to quickly open new explorer windows by simply clicking on a explorer tab while holding Shift.

Is there something similar to this on Mac OS? I already know of Cmd + N for new windows but that's only if I'm in the finder app.

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I have a couple of solutions to this. Unfortunately, they use 3rd party programs that both cost money, but I feel they both are worth it (for this, and many other reasons).

Firstly, hyperdock enhances the dock with many new features:

HyperDock adds long awaited features to your Dock: Select individual application windows just by moving the mouse on a dock item, use mouse clicks to quickly open new windows and many more. (from the website)

The mouse clicks feature is what you need. You can easily replicate the windows 7 feature by adding a New Window Action for any dock item when Shift+Left click is used. Note that this will work for most apps. Eg with firefox/chrome it will open a new browser window.

This program costs $10. Make sure you buy the non-app store version though, as the app store version doesn't have this feature!

An other solution is Total Finder. This adds a lot of features to finder, such as tabbed browsing and cut and paste. It also has a visor feature - this lets you show and hide a special finder window with a single hotkey. I can't live without this now.

This program costs $18

There are likely other free solutions to this as well, but I haven't looked for them yet.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.