Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have three partitions on my drive, arranged something like the following:

| 1 |  2 | 3|

I wish to merge partitions 1 and 3.

Is there a way to do this, or do I have to manually "slide" partition 2 over to partition 3, and then merge the newly open space where partition 2 used to be?

Note: I do not have the space to copy partition 2 to partition 3 (2 is 200GB and 3 is 65GB).

share|improve this question
@Sathya, I can't delete the data in the middle (or rather, I don't want to) – soandos May 13 '13 at 7:16

If I remember correctly, you may be able to do it if the disks are dynamic from Disk Management. However, you can just use Gnome Partition Editor. It will allow you to move partitions around on the disk, regardless of type.

share|improve this answer
Is there a way for it to be smart about it and simply move the first ~65GB ish around, and then change the MFT accordingly? – soandos May 12 '13 at 22:25
Im not following what you are asking. However, I would just suggest burning the GPE ISO and booting off it. Its fairly intuitive. You can play around with the partitions, so you can see what it will do. However, it wont actually do anything until your commit the changes. – Keltari May 13 '13 at 0:40
option #1 (naive): copy all 200GB over to partially overlap with partition #2, and fill #3. option #2 (optimized): copy over the first 65GB or so to partition #3, re-write the MFT to refer to the new locations of those files (or even file fragments). The difference is between a 65GB copy, and a 200GB copy – soandos May 13 '13 at 1:11

Yes, you can't have a partition with an "hole". That's because partitions were useful mainly to have a faster access to files.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .