Hey guys I had a Macbook pro stolen. When I talked to the police they essentially told me there was nothing to do. Since then, I have read more about tracking down stolen macs and just last night read about using Dropbox to get a "last use" IP address.
- I got the IP address and did some geolocating but only to the point that I know the town it is in. I gave the police this information and they said they would contact the ISP to try and get the street address.
- The Macbook was stolen about a week ago so I am trying to gather as much info as possible before its really too late and therefore I'm doing some detective work on the side.
Here is the details of my Mac:
- It runs the most recent OS
- There was a single user that was password protected with administrative access
- I did not have terminal running, or any theft security besides my password
- I do not use iCloud
- The Dropbox hasn't been used in a few days (worries me it is wiped or turned off)
I read a post about remotely being able to access the computer. My questions:
- Can I get Dropbox to run again or use Dropbox in a way that re-activates it on the stolen lap top?
- How difficult would it be to AppleScript a command that started remote access?
The article I read was going to attempt to send a script through Dropbox and hope it would open.
Essentially I am looking for any non "wait on the police" help I can get. I have the IP address, now I want a bit more.