Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a Ricoh Aficio MP5000 and I am having an issue, albeit an intermittent one, where you can flake the toner off of a printed page. I imagine this has something to do with an error within the fusing unit.

However, since fusing units are a fortune, even on the eBays, and it can be parted out; does anyone have an idea about what aspect of the fusing unit I should look to replacing first? Pressure roller? Holder roller? Hot roller?

share|improve this question
are you sure its not the toner? – Keltari May 16 '13 at 17:12
It was replaced less than a week ago - it was my first suspicion, but, unless both containers are bad, I don't think that's the issue. Thanks for your input. – Jasoomian May 16 '13 at 17:16
It could be multiple/various things, so replace the fuser unit. It's a "unit" for a reason. :) If it's too expensive, then replace the printer, if that's too expensive, stop printing, if you absolutely have to keep printing, then the fuser is not "too expensive". ;) Have you called Ricoh yet? – Ƭᴇcʜιᴇ007 May 16 '13 at 18:06
I figure I would have to replace the fuser, I was just hoping that I could save a few company bucks by piece-mealing the repair. I've called Ricoh, and, due to a long story involving the company that previously owned this machine, they are not an option for repair at this time. Thanks for your input. – Jasoomian May 16 '13 at 19:40
If both containers where cheap 3rd party toner they might both be bad =] – Tyson Jul 29 '14 at 1:14

A little old, but just in case someone comes hunting...

This is due to one of two things; either your machine is oversupplying toner onto the page, or (more likely) the fuser is not running at the correct temperature, the cause of which is fuser age, incorrect SP settings, or both.

I wouldn't replace individual components of the fuser, but if you did feel game, then make sure the unit has been out of the machine at least 24 hours, as the components inside stay hot longer than you'd expect.

Best of luck.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.