Best option: hardware everything that can be. If u own your dwelling this is easy. You can do it yourself or have someone run cat 5e or 7 cables on the outside to various places and have a 4-8 port hub at each with a central hub linking them all. You can do drops down a wall or up from a basement.crawl space but FAR FAR more expensive.
This is what i did. All cables are cat 7'
Note all hubs identical save one. All are switching hubs.
Lv room: net gear 8port 1/10Gbps hub (10 internal, 1Gbps max) per port
M.bedroom: 8 port, 1/10 hub
Guest bedroom: 8 port 1/10 hub (central hub office hub, lv room hub, m.bed hub connects to it)
Home office: netgear 16 port 1/10 hub & netgear 4 port 1/10 hub
Office: Twc 500x50 business class & ATT UVERSE VDSL 50Mbpsx5Mbps ISPS to dual wan asus router/wifi/hub. Configured for fallback/fall forward and shared bandwidth on a 10:1 ratio.
- Asus lan port 1 to 16 port hub. Asus lan port 3 set up as secondary WAN for ATT. Wifi @ 5GHz, CHs 36-48 & 149-161@160MHz, AC ONLY+802.11d+h & 2.4 Ghz ch11 20MHz B/G/N
- outside the network: Att UVERSE wifi: 5Ghz, CHs 52-64@80MHz N/AC (only used to access UVERSE modem. More once fiber comes)
- 16 port hub runs 2 computers, color inkjet, brother laser printer and other Ethernet devices. Also runs a cable to opposite side of office to a * 4 port hub where my computer runs, a dell color laser printer, and a 32TB raid 5, 1Gbps, backup unit runs to backup anything that supports it (Windows PCs mostly)-also serves as an iTunes server (15TB of purchased Apple Music, tv shows,,music, podcasts, etc
- port on 16 port office hub goes to port in guest bedroom hub
- guest bedroom: 1 port to m.bed, 1 port to lv room
- guest bedroom has a roommate. Remaining ports used by her PS3, Apple TV3,laptop, Xbox 360, directv HD tuner and slave to master DVR (directv uses the coax cables for its own 1Gbps network so to not burden customers network. They can be forced over Ethernet if need be)
- m.bed: master directv DVR (4TB external space using eSata port), ATV3, nvidia shield console, ps4, Xbox one, and a asus RT-56U in AP mode only 5Ghz active using wifi N, CH 165@20MHz & 2.4 Ghz ch6 @ 20MHz B/G/N
- lv. Room: secondary direcTV DVR (500GB), ps4, Xbox one, ATV gen 4, PS3, Wii U, asus rt-68u AP Mode, 5GHz, WiFi AC+802.11d+h, CH100-114@80MHz & 2.4 Ghz ch1 @ 20MHz B/G/N
Note: all access points use the same SSID for 2.4GHZ. 5GHz do not share the same SSIDS.
All directv use Ethernet for Internet access only otherwise the master DVR MUST use wifi and bridge it to the coax network.
That's my network. My wifi is total OVERKILL BUT I live in a suburb of Charlotte NC on 1 acre. All houses in my HOA are in 0.75-1.5 acres. There virtual no 5GHz noise. Sometimes -80 to -95 which is nothing. 5GHz doesn't go more than 50ft past your house. TOPS. 2.4GHz, I use 1,6,11 for no overlap and I convinced almost everyone to use 1,6,or 11...there a few using 40MHz but they get crap speeds from the great number of people sharing 1,6,11 and our shared noise overpowers them. NEVER USE 2.4 @ 40MHz unless RURAL. get your speed from 5GHz, 40MHz for N or 60,80,100,160 for AC (60 & 100 are non standard)
However we all do have many wifi only devices:
2 iPad Pros, 1 Air 2, 1 Air 1 m 5GHz
2 iPhone 6S+, 1 iPhone 6S, 5GHz
nvidia shield portable (console version is wired) 5GHz
2 Nintendo New 3ds XL (2.4GHz capable only)
3 PS Vitas (5GHz)
SD wifi card in camera that auto copies pics when in range of wifi
Ring Doorbell (2.4 capable only)
4 Ring security cameras, motion activated around the house (2.4 capable only)
All hubs, access points, modems on UPSBACKUP and can run for 12+ hrs. All ISPs who do Internet phones, in the USA, by law, must operate for a minimum of 8 hrs on power failure. 3 UPSes in the office hibernate the PCs if the power is out for more than 15seconds otherwise they'd Drain them dry in 10min
So when the power knocks out..as it often does from summer tstorms in NC, we can keep entertained on wifi for 8 hrs. After that it's 4G or LTE data. One ups has only Apple high power chargers on it (5.2vx2.4A=12.5W). 6 of them. That one is dedicated to charging ANY APPLE or non Apple device that accepts use power. This one can last for DAYS. This isn't a standard ups. It's a 12V 700A car battery (modified at the factory for backup or fir car jump starts) with 12 110V plug ins. And 4 built in 10W usb charging ports. If fully drained, it takes 3 days to fully charge as it charges off a 12V, 3A charger.
Granted the cost of the wires, hiring someone to wire it. The hubs, AC points over time. At some point each were my main router until I upgraded. Plus the ups backups, etc = about 3000$, but u can pay someone 250-500 to wire your house. Then get some good quality, good priced SWITCHUNG HUBS. MAX COST = 500-750. FAR LESS if u wire yourself. Too much wireless is pushed. The fact the ps4 can only do 2.4 GHz is what started me doing all this. Things are so much better wired. Plus wired if FULL duplex 1000Mbps each way and can "talk each way at once". Wifi can't do that, well AC CAN, otherwise wifi is HALF DUPLEX. When a packet is being received, none can b sent and vice versa. This is why wifi N hardly ever reaches its potential - especially with many devices forced to take turns. Hence why I have 3 APs lol