I am doing the same steps (Perform SSH and SCP Without Entering Password on openSSH). But it keep asking password prompt while scp or 'ssh -l' command run. Same steps i did few days back, it was working fine, but now it is not working.
What i did was:
- I have two machines LOCAL and REMOTE.
- In both machines, I login in putty with root user.
- In both machines, I checked 'ssh -V', i find same version same product in both.
- in local, i run from /root/.ssh folder
i gave key file name as appkey. 5. it generated appkey, appkey.pub in /root/.ssh 6. In remote, i copied content of local appkey.pub and pasted in at the end of remote authorized_keys file. 7. In remote, i run
chmod 755 ~/.ssh chmod 644 ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
- In local, i tried to run scp and 'ssh -l' commands, but it still asking passwords.
- I tried other way also, instead of adding in authorized_keys file, i copied appkey.put to romote /root/.ssh folder