Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My ISP is TalkTalk and I have one of their FTTC packages. With that I also have their YouView TV service. Before getting this service I used my own routers, as ISP supplied ones didn't have the features I wanted. I would like to continue doing this however I've found if I swap the router for a different one the TV service stops working (Internet access works fine). I believe this may have something to with multicast, but my knowledge on multicast is slim at best.

I've used DD-WRT and OpenWRT routers in the past, and they support multicast in a fashion so I'd like to use these if I can. If not that's ok, but I would like to swap the router.

Is this possible, and if so what do I need to do to extract and replicate the settings to make the TV work?

share|improve this question
What does your ISP say? – Xavierjazz May 23 '13 at 17:54
Your best bet is to go through your ISP like Xavierjazz suggests. Most ISP's allow you to turn their provided modem/router into a dumb router and use your own device. I can't imagine you're the first person that would have wanted to do this through them. Report back with your answer though. – Will.Beninger May 23 '13 at 18:18
Their line is that you must use one of their routers to use their TV service and that's it. Here is the web version of the answer, but I have spoken to them on the phone about this as well:… I do however know this is possible as I've seen people post about it on forums such as here: – SimonJGreen May 23 '13 at 18:22
So use their modem and simply connect your router to the modem. – Ramhound May 23 '13 at 19:52
How does your TV connect to their service? – Nevin Williams May 23 '13 at 21:27

You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .