My computer randomly restarts. Is it more likely my motherboard or processor? So, I know which one to return or replace first.
- Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
- Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3
- CPU: Intel i7
Times it restarts
- randomly during use in Windows 7
- during boot
- while in BIOS
- before BIOS
- basically randomly as soon as I press the power button
Attempted solutions or diagnostics
- I have taken the computer down to the bare minimum of hardware components to see if it fixed the problem; CPU, mobo, PSU, 1 memory stick, 1 HDD. The problem still persisted.
- I swapped all the memory sticks and problem still persisted.
- I did a memory check on the memory and they seem fine.
- Nothing is overheating.
- I tried replacing the PSU with another one that works and it still persisted.
- Nothing, besides the notice that the system did not shutdown properly, is showing up in the hardware or application logs in Windows.
- I have reseated everything.
- I have taken everything out of the computer and cleaned it completely out and still having the issue.
- I have moved the computer to a different outlet in my house and the problem still persists.
- I have tried a second working CPU and it still does not work.
- Checked for blown caps.
- Swapped out all cables with known working cables.
- Sent Motherboard for repairs and they repaired it and sent it back and it is still not working
New Verdict @ 12 August 2013
I sent the motherboard for repairs to ASUS a few weeks ago. They said something was wrong with it and repaired it and sent it back. However, it is still randomly restarting.
I did some more part swapping over the weekend and discovered the problem is still the motherboard. I am going to talk to ASUS again today and see what they can do about replacing the motherboard. Will update this post when the problem is resolved.
UPDATE @ 28 August 2013
Got the replacement motherboard last night and everything is working fine so far. It has not restarted for 12+ hours. Will be letting it run for the next couple days to see if it restarts. Typically it would have restarted numerous times within the 12 hours. So far so good. =) If it does not restart today or this evening i will create an answer and close this question.
UPDATE @ 29 August 2013
Still no restarts with the replacement motherboard. Declaring it fixed.