Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How can I type special characters with keyboard shortcuts, like on OSX?

For example Option+Shift+R will make an ‰ (per mil-symbol) on Mac, how do I do the same on Windows?

I have already tried the application WizKey but it didn't work like I wanted. It doesn't allow me to bind Ctrl and a symbol, ex. "-", to write out a character. WizKey had too little options overall.

share|improve this question

migrated from May 26 '13 at 7:05

This question came from our site for professional and enthusiast programmers.

up vote 1 down vote accepted

I think the best way would be to create a keyboard layout from scratch, using the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator.

You can load an existing layout and customize it however you want, or create a brand new one, including combinations with modifier keys.

share|improve this answer
Thanks! MSKLC works perfectly! – Adam May 24 '13 at 22:48

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .