Sign up ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've got a USB 3 external hard drive and a Mac Mini 2012 with USB 3 ports. If I want to get USB 3 speeds on the hard drive, I assume I need a special USB 3 cable with the blue inserts. They seem to be pretty hard to find though. For the ones I need, do they need to be A Male to A Male cables? For instance, would this one from Amazon work, and give me USB 3 speeds of up to 3.2 gigabits?

share|improve this question
Any USB 3.0 cable that has the correct connectors will work. It appears that the HDD requires a Male A connector. You would need to verify that before you order the cable. – Ramhound Jun 10 '13 at 14:56
Okay thanks. There are so many different types of USB 3 cables that it can become confusing after awhile. – Gary Jun 10 '13 at 17:08
You need at least a single Male A connection ( which goes to the pc itself ) the connection to the hdd you have to determine that. The box itself shoudl tell you what is included. You can also contact WD for assistance. – Ramhound Jun 10 '13 at 17:19

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.