Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Even though Macs have only one keyboard key for it, there is a difference between (carriage) return and enter. I need to type an enter (not return) into a field (it's a macro utility, and there's no ability to enter ASCII codes).

I know there used to be a way to do this (maybe it's because I used to have a keyboard with a numeric keyboard where the Enter key sent an enter command) but I don't have a full-sized keyboard anymore. On my MacBook Pro keyboard, the return key has an "enter" label, too (in smaller type above "return") and I thought I might be able to use a modifier key (Shift/Option/Command/Control), but that doesn't seem to be working.

share|improve this question
Are you able to grab a full-size keyboard and plug it into the USB port? – Kruug Jun 14 '13 at 22:47
Yes… but I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't involve any extra hardware. But thanks for the suggestion. – Tom Lloyd Dec 3 '13 at 16:51

Have you tried pressing Fn+Return?

share|improve this answer
Good question. Unfortunately, my GoldTouch ergo keyboard doesn't have a <kbd>Fn</kbd> key (maybe because it has all the physical function keys already). – Tom Lloyd Dec 3 '13 at 16:48
You should try adding that to the question, as that changes what to suggest – Canadian Luke Dec 3 '13 at 16:50
Actually, my original question was framed in the context of not having access to an external keyboard, so your answer is spot-on for the MBP keyboard. Thanks!! – Tom Lloyd Dec 3 '13 at 16:57
Ahhh, OK, I understand now – Canadian Luke Dec 3 '13 at 18:06

Besides Canadian Luke's correct answer above, I discovered a kinda kludgy way to do this as well, and it should work whatever keyboard (or lack thereof) you have. From the Input menu (enabled† by setting Show Keyboard & Character Viewers in menu bar in the Keyboard system preference), choose Show Keyboard Viewer.

Then, in the "virtual" keyboard palette, click Fn; you should see the icon on Return change to an icon looking roughly like a "K" turned 90°. That's the symbol/icon for Enter.

† For OS X versions earlier than Lion, the input menu is enabled by setting Show input menu in menu bar in the Languages & Text system preference) and then choosing Show Keyboard Viewer.

share|improve this answer

You can also use KeyRemap4MacBook to for example map control-return to enter:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::RETURN, VK_CONTROL | ModifierFlag::NONE, KeyCode::ENTER</autogen>
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.