I want to securely access my Raspberry Pi running Arch Linux from far, far away. (The entire system is running on a 2GB microSD card by the way.) I'm not afraid of the bash shell and I'm not afraid to work hard to get this done.)
- Do I need to setup a virtual private network VPN?
- If I do need a VPN, would you recommend openVPN or something else?
- Do I need to learn about network address translation (NAT)?
- Do I need to learn about port forwarding?
- I have SSH setup on the Pi.
- I have VNC setup on the Pi.
- I don't want to use Hamachi because it limits your connections unless you pay a ton of money.
- I don't want to use TeamViewer because I feel that its very inefficient and bloated.
- Basically, I don't like the idea of sending my information through some company as a way of sacrificing control and freedom for convenience.
P.S. If I would have better luck posting this question on a different forum, which one would you suggest?
Part 2 of this discussion can be found here: Remote Access without Teamviewer or Hamachi - Part 2 of 2