This happened previously to me and after much triage I determined that it was due to a Windows Update. After a few rollbacks (and auto-reupdates that reintroduced the problem) I just ended up disabling Windows Update. The problem is now back, but apparently has a different cause this time as those updates have remained disabled.
- Using Windows 7
- Headset plugged into front jacks
- I'm not getting green bars in the Volume Mixer at any time.
- "Windows is unable to play the test tone" when attempting to test devices.
Here's what I've tried (various solutions that I've seen):
- Checked all cables
- Updated drivers manually from manufacturer site (
- Disable/Re-enable audio devices
- Changed default device
- Disabled "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device
Would appreciate any help, links, or solutions. Thanks!