Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a monitor that I want to use as my 'TV' for my gaming system. I connect it via HDMI, so sound and video go through the monitor, but I want sound to my headphones, which travels via optical (S/PDIF) cable. The monitor (Dell U2713HM) has a 3.5mm audio jack on it for line out, but I couldn't find anything that simply plugs in an converts the analog audio signal to a digital one so I can plug in a S/PDIF cable. What sort of device do I need to do this? (I am not asking for shopping recommendations, merely what options allow this conversion. I would prefer the smallest option, as space is limited).

share|improve this question
hmm, thats odd - can't recall seeing headphones that use SPDIF... what're they? – Journeyman Geek Jun 24 '13 at 16:04
@JourneymanGeek Not simply headphones, but gaming headsets (they combine voice chat and surround sound). I realize I'd probably lose the surround sound capability, but all I really want is the audio – SSumner Jun 24 '13 at 17:19

There's specific converters for that - such as this one - you'll need a 3.5mm to stereo rca cable, connect that into the RCA to spdif adaptor I linkeyou should be good. If shopping around, make sure it takes stereo in, and outputs to toslink since these adaptors don't work the other way

This does seem un-necessarily complicated since most modern PCs have optical toslink, and its a simple matter of picking that as your default sound out from your mixer.

share|improve this answer
Thanks! If I was on my PC, I know there'd be no problem, but this is for an Xbox 360, and the optical out has to come from the display (after the HDMI input) – SSumner Jun 24 '13 at 17:21… might be of interest as well – Journeyman Geek Jun 25 '13 at 1:29

You can purchase something of the sort like this cable, and then use an RCA to 3.5mm adaptor. I did the same thing when my TV was broken, ran HDMI through my monitor for video and used speakers through that wire for sound.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.