Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Env : Windows Server 2003 with already established shared folders over the local Domain via Windows DC and AD. - Linux box being used as a fileserver with the folder /files/share being R+W by all domain users, this is not a problem.

I have already transfered the files from the Windows Box to the /files/share on the Linux Box however i now want to create a junction point in order to prevent users saving to the Windows box.

I have tried the FileServer Administration on windows server 2003 however it will not allow me to junction remote servers. I have tried mounting the remote filesystem as a drive and proceeding that way however no joy.

Anyone have any suggestions ?

share|improve this question

You can create a symlink similar to the symlinks in linux. Use the following syntax...

mklink /d c:\share z:\files\share

This will create a symlink on the C drive called share that will point to your remote linux system mounted on the Z: drive.

You will most likely need to run your cmd command as administrator to have privileges to create the link. This is not a junction point but should work since it doesn't have the restrictions of being local drives only. Hope this helps.

Here's a reference to the mklink command usage for your reference:

share|improve this answer
Unfortunately this will not work in windows server 2003 Applies To: Windows 8, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2012, Windows Vista – Pogrindis Jun 27 '13 at 12:58
It will also work in Windows 7, but its unfortunate this is not supported in Windows Server 2003. I don't know of any other way, sorry. – cmevoli Jun 27 '13 at 13:22

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.