Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I recently purchased a microscope camera which came with the camera body (an Olympus DP71) and this cable connector:

I need a PCI card that fits it, but I have no idea what kind of connecter this is!

can anyone help? thanks.

share|improve this question
What does it go to? – AthomSfere Jul 2 '13 at 1:53
Any followup? Have you found a compatible board? – Pedro77 Jun 30 '14 at 12:50
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Well, first you contact the people who sold you the Olympus DP71 microscope digital camera and ask them where your missing PCI camera interface card is.

Next bet is to get onto eBay and start looking for it there.

Elsewise you contact Olympus and find out if this proprietary interface card is still available for the model microscope camera you have.

For further research: Absolutely no recommendations as to whether the Olympus software or camera will interface to this card and make it a useful application. Adaptec SCSI Card 29320LPE for SCSI Ultra320 has an external 68-pin VHDCI connector this would plug into. Also, there's the Adaptec 39160 SCSI Card for SCSI Ultra160. Whether either will interface and actually work is the research you will have to do. See if there are any digital microscope enthusiasts groups who are into salvaging equipment like this.

share|improve this answer
Yup. I found TFM with a quick google search and it mentions a half height card of some sort – Journeyman Geek Jul 2 '13 at 2:10
Driver downloads, hope the link doesn't go stale. – Fiasco Labs Jul 2 '13 at 2:27
yeah, OP has a LOT of research to do. Link rot is precisely why I didn't post an answer, and I posted a google link – Journeyman Geek Jul 2 '13 at 2:29
Wow, those are all very good ideas. In fact, I have been trying to get a replacement card from Olympus - but they are notoriously slow when offering OEM parts for older model cameras. They prefer you buy their newest model. If I can't get anywhere on that front, I might try one of your SCSI card suggestions and give it a go! I appreciate the insight. – user1837608 Jul 2 '13 at 9:59
One other idea, can I use a converter/adapter to switch this VHDCI connection to something more common? – user1837608 Jul 2 '13 at 10:13

That is a 68PIN SCSI Connector, it will be number 6 or number 11 i believe.

enter image description here

However, the there is a trigger port on the card that is used to connect with a Y cable. I am guessing that this means that if you want to use the computer to capture the images, then not only do you need the SCSI connector, but also this trigger cable connected. Here is a link to the owner's manual.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
If you're wondering, i did zoom in and count the number of connections on the cable. sigh – kobaltz Jul 2 '13 at 2:16
Heh, guilty as well. The major key is the software that drives this card, so any custom programming on the card firmware will negate any aftermarket SCSI-II adapter or whatever this cable is if I know my Olympus. – Fiasco Labs Jul 2 '13 at 2:19
Quote: "Certain Japanese digital camera manufacturers wanted to put SCSI into their equipment, but conventional connectors would have been too large. Like IBM, they used a miniaturized Centronics connector, but this one had 50 pins, and was called the "HPCN50"." Another in somewhat common use is the VHDCI (Very High Density Cable Interconnect) connector, also known as an "AMP HPCN68M" (a manufacturer part number), and sometimes as "SCSI-5". There are 68 pins on the connector in two rows." – Fiasco Labs Jul 2 '13 at 2:33
Thanks a million. Looks like this is a less common connector for parallel cables. Most of the recent olympus cameras come with USB2 or firewire, but the optics on this one are superb, so it is worth trying to get it to work for me. I'll report back if I manage to work it out. – user1837608 Jul 2 '13 at 10:00

Looks like you got yourself a parallel cable there.

share|improve this answer
More specifically, it looks like an oldschool centronics connector – Journeyman Geek Jul 2 '13 at 2:08
The underlying cable probably is a Parallel. But that certainly seems to be a custom connector for it (although it has been a while since I've actually seen a parallel cable). – Dracs Jul 2 '13 at 2:08
scsi-5 or vhdci – Fiasco Labs Jul 2 '13 at 2:43

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .