While watching movie using VLC with czech subtitles, qestionmarks appears instead of some (ěščřž etc.) characters. Steps that I have tried so far:
Converting subtitles from windows-1250 to utf-8 using iconv:
iconv -f WINDOWS-1250 -t UTF-8 1250.srt > utf8.srt
I assume that conversion was successful because when I open windows-1250 version (with vim or gedit) I saw strange characters, after conversion to utf-8 subtitles looks OK, so it seems that that from/to format was chosen correctly.
- Setting various combinations in VLC player "default encoding" font and subtitles settings.
I guess that something is wrong with language support on system wide level or something similar.