I am new to this topic of creating a SFTP server on one's computer. I would like to be able to access the folder on my Windows XP computer via SFTP from another computer or a phone.
The following is what I have done so far:
I have installed SSH Windows and everything is setup correctly because I can access it (the folder on my pc) via WinSCP.
I however cannot access it from my phone. It doesn't connect.
The phone can be on the same wireless network as the Windows XP computer, but I would prefer to be able to access this when not in the same network.
Now, from what I have read and understood, the following is the information needed to connect:
1) Host Name: This would be my computer's ip address which I access by typing ipconfig in a cmd prompt (I access this easily on my computer because I simply put in localhost or 127.0.0.1)
2) Port Number: That would be port 22 (I have also added this to my router in the port forwarding section).
3) Username: This would be my Windows XP username. This however is my full name, including my middle initial followed by a period. I am wondering if this is maybe causing problems in accessing it from my phone, since the name has spaces and punctuation (the period).
4) Password: The password of my Windows XP computer
Extra Info: When I say phone, I mean an Android phone and I am using an ftp / sftp app to access my pc via the phone's cellular network (I also tried the wireless, but that didn't work as well). I have tried more than one program. On one program it tells me Connection timed out and on another it tells me "timeout:socket is not established"
Also, I know that I can use the site noip, but I prefer to connect this way first. Also, because I am new to this, I would like to look into what exactly noip is doing and if they would be seeing my files as they are transferred from phone to pc.
Thanking you in advance for your help.
UPDATE 1: Thanks for responses thus far. The problem seems to be that I cannot get port 22 open. I can get port 21 (which I added just a little while ago in the Virtual Servers section of my Belkin router's interface), but that only shows as open when I am using a program called PFPortChecker that I have installed. If I go to the site canyouseeme.org, it however tells me that it could not see that port because the connection timed out. On that same site, I get the same error message for Port 22. With the port checker program, it just simply tells me that the port is not open or not reachable.
- Short version: I can connect!!! Things are working.
- Longer version: I was finally able to connect. It was a stupid mistake on my part. In my Belkin interface where one specifies ports to be opened, there are checkboxes in a column under the heading of Enable. I for some reason didn't check it, but did so for port 21. I think having two previous entries that I created years ago unchecked as well because I wanted them present but not enabled might have thrown me off visually.
New Problem which was eventually resolved:
However, after a while, I all of a sudden couldn't connect anymore. I was eventually able to connect again, but then later on I couldn't. In between those times, I had my phone transferring files to my computer. At different times, port 22 would be open and then closed according to the software mentioned above and also the website mentioned above as well as http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ which seemed to be more accurate. The software program and these sites were checking if the port was open using my external / public ip address. Port 21, which I had also opened to see if I would experience any problems, would also at times be shown as closed and other times as opened.
I then created a static ip address. I thought I had one already, but I didn't. The ip address on my computer (the internal one) however was never changing, but just to rule this out as a problem, I went ahead and created the static ip address. I however was still having problems connecting.
In the end, it turned out to be my Windows Firewall. I thought it wasn't this because even though I disabled it, at the suggestion of user235252, I was able to connect again, but also still successfully when I then enabled it. I was however eventually disconnected again and unable to connect again as I had my phone transferring files again.
I decided to add Port 22 to the Exceptions list, and lo and behold, I have been able to connect and re-connect successfully for at least 24 hours.
When I am connected wirelessly to the same network as my computer, I use my internal ip address, and I can connect to my computer. When I turn the wireless off and am using the cell phone's network, I use my external / public ip, and I can connect to my computer.
I am so happy that I can connect. This is cool and my first time doing something like this. I however have much more to learn, especially with regards to security, one of them being restricting access to the other folders on my computer. I would also love to someday create the type of server that allows one to host a website.
Thanks to everyone for their help.