Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a LAN in my office with shared Internet connection through a router.
I want to access a PC with remote desktop with only one public IP.
I know the computer's public IP and LAN IP which I want to connect.

How can I connect to this computer in my home?

share|improve this question
Unless you have access to the router and can configure port forwarding, this is not possible. – ernie Jul 3 '13 at 20:32
i configured port. – hinzir Jul 3 '13 at 20:33
You configured what port? That makes no sense. As I said before, you need to be able to manage the router, and set up port forwarding so that requests to the publicIP:somePort are forwarded to lanIP:3389. – ernie Jul 3 '13 at 20:39
I configured 3389 port. – hinzir Jul 4 '13 at 10:39

You need to configure Port forwarding and dig deep into the concept of Tunneling and Reverse ssh to get it work. Additionally you also need access of your LAN router to configure port forwarding. Bcz what undergoes is when you access internet through a PC which is configured with a Private IP (local LAN IP), it uses tunneling concept to get access to the internet through one common Public IP, but to get access from internet to your PC you need to establish Reverse tunneling, which in turn, uses Port Forwarding feature.

An easy way could be (only if VPN connection is available), if you have access to your office intranet in which the PC you want is present, so you can logon to the VPN network and access the PC.

share|improve this answer

Sounds like you will get what you want much easier by using an assisted remote desktop application.

There are several: GoToMyPc, Teamviewer

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.