Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have an image of a gradient. It's in a dull grey, and I would like to shift the enter thing to a bluer color without changing any of its other properties.

What's an easy way to do this?

I have both photoshop and gimp.


share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Photoshop: The Hue/Saturation adjustment tool (shortcut Ctrl+U at least in PSCS3, accessible via Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation otherwise) has the "Colorize" option, which preserves the lightness of the color, but changes the hue and saturation values to any given color.

Hue/Saturation box

share|improve this answer
Thank you so much. – Ben Oct 27 '09 at 16:54

The Colorize-Option should work for this pretty well.

share|improve this answer
What's the colorize option? Please be more specific. – Ben Oct 27 '09 at 16:25
Sorry, I totally missed the point... :( ...I meant the Colorize-Option available in the GIMP Color-Menu. – Bobby Oct 27 '09 at 18:05

Even though you didn't specifically ask for it in the question, I thought I'd post how to do this in Paint.NET in case anyone is looking for it.

I was able to simulate Photoshop's Colorize feature by doing to following:

  1. Open your image file
  2. Add a new layer above the gradient
  3. Set the Opacity of the new layer to something low like 30
  4. Use the rectangle tool to draw a solid blue rectangle across the whole image

If it's too light or dark, you can adjust the transparency of the layer OR use a darker/lighter blue.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .