Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have an image of a gradient. It's in a dull grey, and I would like to shift the enter thing to a bluer color without changing any of its other properties.

What's an easy way to do this?

I have both photoshop and gimp.


share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Photoshop: The Hue/Saturation adjustment tool (shortcut Ctrl+U at least in PSCS3, accessible via Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation otherwise) has the "Colorize" option, which preserves the lightness of the color, but changes the hue and saturation values to any given color.

Hue/Saturation box

share|improve this answer
Thank you so much. – Ben Oct 27 '09 at 16:54

The Colorize-Option should work for this pretty well.

share|improve this answer
What's the colorize option? Please be more specific. – Ben Oct 27 '09 at 16:25
Sorry, I totally missed the point... :( ...I meant the Colorize-Option available in the GIMP Color-Menu. – Bobby Oct 27 '09 at 18:05

Even though you didn't specifically ask for it in the question, I thought I'd post how to do this in Paint.NET in case anyone is looking for it.

I was able to simulate Photoshop's Colorize feature by doing to following:

  1. Open your image file
  2. Add a new layer above the gradient
  3. Set the Opacity of the new layer to something low like 30
  4. Use the rectangle tool to draw a solid blue rectangle across the whole image

If it's too light or dark, you can adjust the transparency of the layer OR use a darker/lighter blue.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.