Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I made VB6 Applications and used some components like Winsock, Webbrowser and etc in my program.
Now when i run my application on any other computers, it says :

Component 'MSWINSCK.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

The Ways i tried:
I tried to copy mswinsck.ocx to System32 folder and try to open the application again, but this error comes again !
So i think i can register this component using :

Regsvr32 mswinsck.ocx

but i couldn't succeeded !
Also i don't want to use Installer programs. so

My Question:
How can i Register a Visual Basic 6 Component Manually ?

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Try the following:

  1. Install the Visual Basic 6.0 SP6 run-time files.

  2. If you're on a Win7 64-bit PC then copy the DLLs, OCXs etc. to %windir%\SysWoW64 and not %windir%\System32 (see here for an explanation).

  3. Open an elevated/admin command prompt (search for cmd in the Start Menu search box, right-click, Run as administrator) and try to register the OCX using regsvr32.

  4. If none of this works you might need to add the VB6 licensing keys to the registry. See this KB article for details.

share|improve this answer

According to the Microsoft Support page How to register an ActiveX control (.ocx) manually, use:

Regsvr32 /s MSWINSCK.OCX
share|improve this answer
/s seems to be just for silent mode, so if without it the command failed it shouldn't work with it either. – Karan Jul 4 '13 at 17:49
I Tried it without /s parameter, because its for Silent-Mode. However Karan said. – Amirreza Nasiri Jul 4 '13 at 18:05

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.