Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am trying to insert underbraces in a mathematical document in a Word 07 document but I can't do it. Can you please assist. Thanks.

share|improve this question
Hi and welcome to SU. Have you tried any of the solutions suggested in these google results? – terdon Jul 7 '13 at 15:32

For anyone else wondering on how to actually get text beneath the underbrace, i.e. to label it: You need to type another _ and then press SPACE again. So the correct answer to this question should be:

  1. Type "\underbrace"
  2. Press SPACE
  3. Type "_"
  4. Press SPACE
  5. Either navigate with the arrow keys or click on the placeholders to finish the input.

Hope this helps somebody.

share|improve this answer
  1. Just type in \underbrace;
  2. Type in "space" (this should turn the \underbrace into a proper underbrace);
  3. Type in the first character of the expression and "space" again (this should put this character just over the underbrace);
  4. Press the left arrow key on your keyboard and then continue typing the rest of the expression.
share|improve this answer
Thanks - Have tried but without result. – Momoli Jul 7 '13 at 15:53
@Momoli Did you type this in the equation box after clicking "Insert Equation"? – Jerry Jul 7 '13 at 16:05
Wow ! I have managed to get it .... Thanks very much Jerry ! – Momoli Jul 7 '13 at 17:00
@Momoli You're welcome :) – Jerry Jul 7 '13 at 17:01

Use the Equation Editor. In Word 2010, click Insert, then Equation. You'll see all the equation tools.

enter image description here To enter an underbrace type "\underbrace", space, the character to go over the underbrace, space, then continue.

Word Help has full details - search for "Equation Editor"

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .