We're purchasing a dell laptop to use specifically for testing websites in old Internet Explorers. Dell lets us choose between Windows 7 and Windows 8.
(I'm a Mac user, so...) As I understand it:
- Installing IE9 will allow testing IE7 and IE8 via compatibility mode
- IE9 is NOT installable on Windows 8
Assuming #2 is correct, I understand that there's a VM option for installing old IEs on Windows 8, but I'd rather avoid VMs altogether (otherwise, we might as well use VMs on our Macs).
So then, as I see it –– and keeping in mind that this is just a testing machine, not a productivity one –– the best course of action is to get dell to ship the laptop with Windows 7 installed.
Does that sound like a reasonable course of action?
Or, do I have my facts wrong? Like, perhaps:
- IE9 is in fact installable on Windows 8(?)
- IE10, which is installable on Windows 8 allows emulating IE7 through IE9(?)
- It's actually not that painful to use VMs on Windows 8 for this purpose. Honestly this SU post did not convince me.
Any tips and informed opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...