Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a widescreen monitor at work that I have rotated 90 degrees - effectively making it a "longscreen" monitor. I find the long profile much more useful for code.

I know I can use Win + Left/Right to move a window to the left or right half of the screen respectively, similarly Win + Up/Down will maximise or minimise.

The question is, are there a similar key combinations to move a window to the top or bottom half of the screen for when I am using the "longscreen" monitor?

edit: Since its a work controlled machine, it is hard to get software installed so a native solution would be best.

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Aero snap doesn't support half/half horizontally which is what you are doing with the keys. You can however arrange two windows horizontally if they are in the same program by shift-right-clicking on the program group if two or more windows are open and then stack horizontally.

share|improve this answer
Hmmm... I was mostly going to be having different PuTTY windows stacked on the longscreen so this is pretty handy. Although it does mean I need to combine taskbar items, which is a drag. – Lego Stormtroopr Jul 11 '13 at 5:59
This is the only way in windows 7 without getting a custom window manager which exist. – chabgo Jul 11 '13 at 6:07

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.