Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

According to this, you cannot write 100% Italian on a QWERTY keyboard but I am wondering how you would write Italian with a QWERTY keyboard then? For example, characters like ë, ï, and é are a huge pain since I currently have to keep opening Character Map, find the symbol, copy it, then switch windows and paste.

share|improve this question
erm... dead keys? – That Brazilian Guy Jul 12 '13 at 0:35
up vote 2 down vote accepted

If you set your keyboard layout to us-international you can use the so called "dead"-keys.

You can use Shift+" followed by e to get ë.

Also Shift + ' / Shift + ^ / Shift + ` / Shift + ~ followed by the desired letter.

Way better then remembering those alt-combinations.

Keyboard layout is under configuration, keyboard an languages, change keyboard..under italy add us-international and set as default above in the pulldown. Choose apply and remove the other layout (presumably italian)¡ If you don't remove the italian you could accidentaly change back with shift+alt or some other combo.

share|improve this answer

You can use Alt codes. For example, for ë you would hold Alt and press numbers zero, two, three and then five in sequence (not at the same time), then release Alt. I believe you can use the top-row numbers, but I always used to use the Number Pad.

A full list is here:

share|improve this answer
Thank you @Craig, do you know of any Italian keyboards that I could buy (if they even exist)? I find using ALT+ to be very tedious and it interrupts my flow and concentration at times. – jay_t55 Jul 11 '13 at 20:55
Unfortunately there are none that I can immediately find. That said, your next best option is to change the keyboard layout in Windows to Italian (from memory - I haven't touched a Windows machine's regional settings in a long time - it should be somewhere in Control Panel) and either make/buy a set of key covers for your QWERTY keyboard. – Craig Watson Jul 11 '13 at 21:02

Just select italian keyboard on the operating system - some keys will behave differently (eg: you press [ but get è), but eventually you will get used, I always type Italian with English keyboard.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .