I'm trying to fresh install Windows 8 Pro x64 bit to a blank SSD, but am having trouble getting the Windows 8 installer to even start.
- I place the Windows 8 DVD in the drive, start the computer, press a key to boot from DVD.
- Windows 8 logo appears, and hangs for a couple of minutes.
- A spinning progress indicator appears, the screen goes black (like its transitioning to the next step), and remains black. There is no cursor prompt or anything... just a black screen.
- Eventually after letting it sit for 5 mins, the computer flashes a bright blue screen with white text for an instant (similar to a BSOD), then the computer reboots.
- Cycle repeats.
Right now I suspect two things: 1) secure boot settings, and 2) graphics card drivers.
- I'm using a ASUS Crosshair V Formula motherboard with the latest BIOS ROM (v1703, 10/17/12)
- In the BIOS settings, it's set to use UEFI for the DVD drive boot device (for when it loads the installer from DVD.)
- There is no explicit UEFI or secure boot option for the SSD boot device.
- This begs the question... does this motherboard support Windows 8? The product website seems to suggest so, since you can download Windows 8 support files for it.
- If it does, what settings would I have to change to ensure its using secure boot for Windows 8?
- I'm using 2x RAEDON HD 5870 cards (linked with Crossfire)
- If this is the problem, I'd have no idea how to fix it...
EDIT: I think I can rule out the video cards, since I was able to run the Windows 7 installer with the same hardware, no problem. I find it highly unlikely that Win7 setup can handle my video cards, but Win8 setup cannot.