This adware came bundled with some freeware I downloaded. It hijacked my home page and search engine. I have fixed both of those things, but still every time I open Chrome, it opens http://search.conduit.com/?ctid=CT3289847&SearchSource=48&CUI=UN27663547709134535&UM=2&sspv=TB_CH2: in addition to the new tab page (which I have set as my home page)
What I have tried, to no avail:
- Following the instructions from How do I remove the Conduit toolbar that comes with µTorrent?, which sounded like a similar question (Basically deleting the .crx file and any registry item that pointed to the directory in which I found it)
- Removing any programs I didn't recognize
- Removing the freeware that installed the adware in the first place
- Manually changing my home page and default search provider
- Running: ADWCleaner, CCleaner, and Malware Bytes Anti-Malware
One more thing: I noticed that "search.conduit.com" is referenced several times in the file C:\Users\MattVS\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Preferences. I have tried modifying this file, but I really don't know what I'm doing with it. I suspect that my changes to this file are being put back anyways.
What else can I do??
From that Preferences file I referenced, here are the two groups of text that mention "conduit" or "WhiteSmoke": //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
EDIT: I deleted the Extensions folder per @Jason's suggestion. The folder was already empty before I deleted it, and the problem persists
EDIT: I tried reinstalling Chrome. This fixed the problem until I restarted the computer and the problem came back on my newly installed version of chrome (even though I was able to stop it from installing any extensions or changing any settings)
Here are the results from HijackThis. I don't see anything malicious, do you?:
EDIT: I downloaded autoruns and ran it. I used ctrl+F to search for "conduit" and "smoke" (up and down) and did not find anything. Anything else I should search for?