Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have the following situation:

I have a camera with a mini-DV port, and a cable which brings the mini-DV to FireWire 400. The only problem is that I need to ultimately get from the mini-DV port to the FireWire 800 port on my MacBook Pro.

Unfortunately, FW 400 != FW 800, as I found out trying to shove a 400 into an 800. It just doesn't work.

I was thinking that I could have an old iMac G4 (two FW 400 ports) somehow 'forward' one of the ports to the other, because I have an FW 400 > 800 cable.

Is this possible, or is there a better way?

share|improve this question
What is a mini-dv port? Do you mean the format is miniDV? The port might be micro-USB or something along those lines? – Raystafarian Jul 17 '13 at 20:27
@Raystafarian the non firewire end of this is probably what they mean... – nerdwaller Jul 17 '13 at 20:28
@Raystafarian It's marked as simply DV on the port. – Undo Jul 17 '13 at 20:28
@nerdwaller Yep. – Undo Jul 17 '13 at 20:29
Then yes, a 400 to 800 adapter would be the solution – Raystafarian Jul 17 '13 at 20:30

As was written in the comments, a Firewire 400 to 800 adapter is the best solution to this problem. I use one to connect DV video cameras, and older disk drives to my Mac mini, which only has a Firewire 800 port. All the Firewire 400 devices work without problem.

share|improve this answer
I got it working sharing the 'internet connection' of the G4 to my FW 400 > 800 cable. A little hacky, but I didn't have to buy anything! – Undo Jul 17 '13 at 21:02

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.