We purchased and used a Barracuda Web Filter 210 about 5 years ago and it worked well for us at the time. I let the Energize updates lapse and the cost to bring them current is greater than the cost of a new system. How I've learned that I don't like to be locked into subscriptions like this so I will not be purchasing another Web Filter.
My company is much smaller now but I still want to filter and log web traffic. I'd like to know what the current "best" non-appliance options are?
- Little or no cost annual subscription or licensing costs
- Can't be cloud based or require broadband connection. We're stuck on T1 at our location and we can't handle a roudtrip for each request to be analyzed by a cloud service.
- Integration with AD or LDAP and support for Rules and Exceptions linked to security groups and users
- Common enough that I can find a contractor to administer and tweak the setup (I'm the bus. owner and hobby IT guy - don't know linux and don't have time to take that on now)
- Able to run on basic hardware, bonus of it's possible to liberate the Web Filter 210 and use to run this new software
- If open source, actively developed and supported
- No need for client applications or endpoints (I'd like something as seamless as the Barracuda)
- Reliable system, something that will basically "just work" once properly setup. The Barracuda was good at this, it just worked and I didn't need to mess around with it much except to administer block exceptions and rules for new scenarios, departments and employees.
During the time we've been without a web filter solution we've changed to a VOIP phone system. I'm now also concerned that routing VOIP traffic through the web filter and that creating issues. If there is a web filter solution that can allow traffic (e.g. VOIP) to pass through untouched that would be nice as well.